Vegan King Oyster Mushroom Scallops Over Simple Gluten Free Pesto Pasta
There are so many mushrooms beyond the typical cremini/white button mushrooms we often see that not only have powerful medicinal healing benefits + are great for us but also have a natural umami or savory flavor + texture that can lend themselves to be a perfect meat substitute.
I wanted to showcase the ~magic~ with these very simple vegan scallops using the stems of king oyster mushrooms. I know this sounds weird but TRUST ME! When cut in medallions + soaked in hot water these stems become the perfect texture to mimic a scallop. Then when we cook them in oil they become beautifully browned + flavorful on top of a cozy bed of pasta.
PREP TIME: 30 MINS | COOK TIME: 30 MINS | TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR | SERVES TWO
- 4 King Oyster Mushrooms, stems cut in 1 inch medallions + scored if desired
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 8 oz Gluten Free Pasta
- 2 Cups Fresh Basil leaves (no stems)
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 4 TBSP Pine Nuts/ Wallnuts/ Sunflower Seeds/ Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 1/4 TSP Sea Salt
- 3 TBSP Vegan Parmesan or Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 Cup of Olive Oil
- Pinch of Sea Salt + Black Pepper
- Pinch of Red Pepper Chili Flakes
- Wash the Mushrooms to remove any dirt + pat dry. Cut off the stem of the mushrooms as well as the caps. You can save the caps for another recipe or saute + include them in this recipe (they just won't look like scallops).
- Cut the stems into 1 inch medallions + score medallions (see picture below).
- Soak the medallions in hot water for 20-30 minutes to soften.
- Place the basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts, lemon juice, salt + vegan Parmesan in the food processor or mini blender processing until a paste forms, scraping down the sides as needed. Slowly add the olive oil a little at a time until your reach the consistency you prefer.
- Taste + adjust seasoning as needed. I added more salt + pine nuts! Set aside pesto.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil + prepare pasts based on the package instructions. Drain + set aside.
- Drain mushrooms + pat them dry. Heat a skillet with 2 TBSP of olive oil in medium-high heat.
- Place the medallions score side up in the hot oil + once browned, about 3-5 minutes. Then brown the scored side about another 3-5 minutes.
- Plate the pasts, pour the pesto + place the browned scallops on top OR stir the pesto into the pot of pasta + plate with browned scallops on top. Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper + red pepper flakes if desired.
- If you have carrot or beet tops they make a gret pesto as well. Just 1-2 handfuls of basil as well as the tops!
- If you are avoiding oil, feel free to use broth or water instead.
I love them with my simple basil pesto or even a white wine sauce if you’re feeling extra sassy. Give this recipe a try, share with your friends and let us know if you enjoyed them!
About the Author...
Are you interested in working with a Health Coach who understands what it's like to be completely overwhelmed, overweight, and exhausted? I'm your girl!
I know what's like to want to practice self-care but not have time. What's it's like to care about your eating habits, weight and lifestyle but not have direction or someone to keep me accountable. And let's just say it's much easier when you have someone on your team.
I WOULD LOVE TO HELP YOU CREATE THE LIFE OF YOUR DREAMS!
Check out my services and let's arrange your FREE Wellness Consultationtoday!