Coconut Butter & Cacao Squares Recipe
My entire life I was a serious junk food addict! Some people have a preference- sweets or salty food. For me, it was ALL junk ALL the time. When I started my journey toward a healthier lifestyle, I knew that I would not be successful if I couldn't have the foods I craved. Creating healthy alternatives in order to avoid processed foods and sugar- was an absolute must!
That's where my love for dates started. Specifically, Medjool Dates is a large fruit that grows on trees and is dried and used in a variety of baking and recipes. These suckers taste exactly like caramel, and are a great alternative to sugary snacks when you just gotta have something sweet. For this reason, I always make homemade "candy" with my secret ingredient- Medjool Dates!
For my latest delicious creation you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups Shredded unsweetened coconut
- 10 Medjool Dates
- 1- 1.5 cups of nuts. Walnuts, pecans and almonds for perfect for this recipe!
- 1/4 cup of Cacao nibs
- Soak your dates in enough water to cover them for approximately 45 minutes.
- Take the shredded unsweetened coconut and pout it in the blender. You only need this ONE ingredient to make coconut butter! Blend well until it is transformed into a smooth liquid. You may have to scrape the sides of the blender down a few times in this process but the blending will allow the natural oil in the coconut to release and liquefy the butter. Once you've completed your butter, place it aside.
- Drain your dates and add them to a food processor. Pulse a few times and then add your nuts. Pulse a few more times and the scrape mixture from sides as needed. Add the cacao nibs and pulse a bit more until the mixture is well combined and starts to pull together.
- Take a small tray and line it with parchment paper. I use a glass container. Press the date mixture into the tray and make it level. Top with some sea salt if you're feeling especially salty (you know I was!)
- Pour the coconut butter over the top to add a layer of deliciousness. I garnished with some cacao nibs and crumbled walnuts because #pretty.
- Put your finished product in the freezer and keep it there! Why? This will make sure the dates keep their form and texture. Sneak on into the freezer whenever you are wanting a nibble and cut a piece off. However be careful if you are watching your calories. These are definitely a calorie bomb, but since they are made of whole ingredients I don't mind- I just take care not to have too much.
What's your favorite sweet treat? Have you considered creating a healthy alternative? Let me know, in the comments below.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hi- I'm Mandi and for most of my life I neglected my health and personal wellness. I ate food that was not good for me, I didn’t take care of my mental wellness, and as a consequence I suffered from chronic illnesses and mysterious unpleasant symptoms. It was clear I was a yo-yo dieter that would binge eat my feelings and look for the nearest quick fix that wouldn’t require me to actually make a lasting change. I wanted to be healthier and eat better, but had no idea how to make that happen. It was during this process that I learned you don’t need any extra money, spare time (that exists?!) or cooking skills to start eating healthy. I want to share the approaches that helped turn me from hot mess mom covered in pizza sauce to hot mess mom covered in avocado toast crumbs! Read more about my journey along with some yummy recipes at The Big Tiny Steps!
Love it? Pin away, girl! Every pin counts. ;)
Are you interested in working with a Health Coach who understands what it's like to be completely overwhelmed, overweight, and exhausted? I'm your girl!
I know what's like to want to practice self-care but not have time. What's it's like to care about your eating habits, weight and lifestyle but not have direction or someone to keep me accountable. And let's just say it's much easier when you have someone on your team.
I WOULD LOVE TO HELP YOU CREATE THE LIFE OF YOUR DREAMS!
Check out my services and let's arrange your FREE Wellness Consultation today!