Health Benefits of 4 Butters + DIY Skin Care Recipes
It's no secret that I am completely in love with homemade skin-care and beauty products! In the last 7 years, I've created body balms, deodorants, and facial moisturizers with different kinds of butter each with their own health benefits and unique qualities, and I can't wait to share the recipes with you.
Shea Butter is one of the most well-known butters for skin-care and beauty products. It's soft to the touch, melts easily when heated and makes a mean body butter! Shea Butter is the extracted fat from the nut of the African shea tree and comes in various forms such as raw, refined, ivory, etc. It's incredibly hydrating and absorbs easily into the skin without clogging your pores making it perfect for hair products and skin-care products. Shea butter is packed with Vitamins A, B, E, and F, and provides a UV protection of 6.
Benefits of Shea Butter
- Reduces Inflammation
- Alleviates Dry/ Itchy Skin
- Soothes Insect Bites, Poison Ivy, Poison Oak
- Clears Eczema, Psoriasis & Dermatitis
- Prevents Wrinkles & Blemishes
- (2 T) Shea Butter is deeply hydrating and is rich in Vitamin A making it fantastic for eye cream.
- (1 T) Coconut Oil strengthens skin tissue and naturally keeps wrinkles at bay by protecting skin cells.
- (1 tsp) Beeswax is high in Vitamin A and acts as an emollient and humectant by drawing moisture into the skin and sealing it.
- (1.5 tsp) Rosehip Seed Oil brightens, regenerates and firms aging skin by reducing scars and preventing the advancement of wrinkles.
- (4 drops) Neroli Essential Oil naturally tones and regenerates’ sagging skin, and removes fine lines.
- (5 drops) Vitamin E Oil is a natural preservative that hydrates while repairing and improving the appearance of damaged skin.
- 2 OZ glass or tin jar
Kokum Butter is a butter many of us aren't particularly aware of but that has massive benefits for your skin! Kokum butter is extracted from the kokum fruit whose tree is native to India and is rich in healthy fats like stearic and oleic acids and can also be used in food. Kokum butter does not clog pores making it perfect for your skin but is also ideal for scalp treatments. Unlike other butters, liquefying the butter with a blender is preferred to melting with heat.
Benefits of Kokum Butter
- Soothes dry, chapped, sensitive, irritated or burnt skin.
- Apply directly to wounds and infected areas
- Antibacterial, Anti-inflammatory & Antioxidant Properties
- Reduces Fine lines & Wrinkles
D.I.Y. Scalp Treatment
- (3 T) Kokum Butter (Whipped) is the perfect emollient to penetrate the scalp and provide deep hydration and relief for itchy scalps.
- (1 T) Coconut Oil to soothe and hydrate the scalp.
- (1 T) Jojoba Oil works wonders as a treatment for dry or flaky scalp because its properties are similar to those naturally created by your scalp.
- (1 tsp) Rosehip Seed Oil reduces scalp conditions like dandruff and dry scalp, while renewing damages scalp tissue and calming itchy, dry or irritated skin.
- (20 drops) Rosemary Essential Oil, Peppermint Essential Oil and Tea Tree Essential Oil to promote growth, itch relief and circulation.
Mango Seed Butter which is cold-pressed from mango seeds is incredibly moisturizing due to its high levels of saturated fats, and omega and fatty acids. It’s a semi-soft/hard butter that melts to the touch making it perfectly suited for gentle or sensitive skin. BONUS: It can also be used for cooking as an alternative to other butters.
Benefits of Mango Butter
- Plumps Skin
- Natural source of Vitamin C
- Heals Dry, Itchy Skin
- Reduces fine lines, wrinkles & other blemishes
D.I.Y. Facial Night Cream
- (2 oz) Mango Butter is a lightly scented butter that provides deep hydration.
- (1.5 oz) Shea Butter is obtained by cold-pressing the seeds of the karite tree. Its shelf life is 1 year and is the perfect consistency for whipped body butters.
- (.25 oz) Sweet Almond Oil is lightweight oil that clears debris from your pores by seeping deep into your skin.
- (.25 oz) Vitamin E Oil is an antioxidant that prevents wrinkles and allows your skin to appear youthful by blocking free radicals.
- (1 tsp) Rosehip Seed Oil brightens, regenerates and firms aging skin by reducing scars and preventing the advancement of wrinkles.
- (20 drops) Geranium Essential Oil & Chamomile Essential Oil to treat acne, reduce fine lines, blemishes & inflammation.
Cocoa Butter is a yellow sweet smelling vegetable fat derived from the cocoa bean. If its sweet smell seems familiar it’s because cocoa butter is not only used for skin-care products but to make my favorite treat- chocolate! Its thick, rich texture makes Cocoa butter ideal for foot balms, deodorants and body balms.
Benefits of Cocoa Butter
- Removes stretch marks and scars over time
- Prevents Skin Dryness & Peeling
- Soothes burns, rashes and infections
- (4 oz) Shea Butter is obtained by cold-pressing the seeds of the karite tree. Its shelf life is 1 year and is the perfect consistency for whipped body butters.
- (2 oz) Cocoa Butter is a vegetable fat with a hard, waxy texture and a chocolaty scent. It's great at eliminating stretch marks and scars overtime.
- (1 oz) Sweet Almond Oil is lightweight oil that clears debris from your pores by seeping deep into your skin.
- (1 oz) Vitamin E Oil is an antioxidant that prevents wrinkles and allows your skin to appear youthful by blocking free radicals.
- (.5 oz) Coconut Oil is derived from coconuts. It contains fatty acids making it anti-fungal and highly moisturizing.
- (40 drops) Lavender Essential Oil relieves pain, is anti-fungal and enhances blood circulation. (Optional)
- 6 OZ glass or tin jar
Well there you have it babe! Now you know you’re not limited to one butter for your beauty, hair and skin-care needs. Have you tried any of these butters? Let me know and the comments below. And remember to like, pin and share with your friends.
Are you interested in working with a Health Coach who understands what it's like to be completely overwhelmed, overweight, and exhausted? I'm your girl!
I know what's like to want to practice self-care but not have time. What's it's like to care about your eating habits, weight and lifestyle but not have direction or someone to keep me accountable. And let's just say it's much easier when you have someone on your team.
I WOULD LOVE TO HELP YOU CREATE THE LIFE OF YOUR DREAMS!
Check out my services and let's arrange your FREE Wellness Consultation today!