10 Tips for Better Sleep
Real talk, almost everyone I know struggles to fall asleep. Fortunately, I consider myself somewhat of a sleeping beauty and with these 10 Tips for Better Sleep, you'll sleep like a baby and will be ready to take on the world!
Let me just start off by saying that YES your quality of sleep absolutely impacts your overall health. Things from your productivity to mood to your immune system are ALL impacted when you don't experience at least 7-8 hours of quality sleep every single day! If you're tossing and turning all night- you're not truly resting!
Without 7-8 hours of deep sleep,
- You lack the energy to perform daily tasks such as exercise, work or hang out with your girlfriends, etc.
- You lose focus and the ability to pay attention causing decreased productivity.
- The chemicals in your brain that tell your body that it's full are off balance causing weight gain.
- You experience increased irritability, mood swings, and exasperates pre-existing mental illnesses.
- You have higher levels of blood sugar which can result in diabetes.
- You have higher blood pressure and inflammation both of which are leading causes of heart disease.
- Your body is fatigued and unable to relax resulting in a lower sex drive.
- And, your skin will look dull and lifeless due to the lack of circulation and cell repair!
Now that you know how a lack of sleep impacts your entire body, let's discuss 10 Tips for Better Sleep so that you're able to feel, look and be your very best moving forward.
10 Tips for Better Sleep
- Turn off all of your electronic devices 1 Hour prior to going to bed. Doing so allows your body to naturally release melatonin (a sleep hormone) that tells your body it's time for bed.
- Purchase a weighted blanket! Weighted blankets gently apply pressure and mold to your body similarly to swaddling or a warm hug jumpstarting the release of serotonin (another sleep hormone) resulting in a deeper sleep.
- Use Calming Essential oils. Essential oils have a ton of therapeutic benefits and it's no surprise that essential oils such as lavender, velvetier, ylang-ylang and sandalwood are perfect to help you doze off. Whether you use lotion such as the Floral SunKiss Body Balm which contains essential oils, add a few drops of them to your diffuser or take a couple of deep whiffs of them, you're sure to fall right to sleep!
- Take a warm bath! Soaking in a hot bath or shower 1-2 hours before bed is the perfect way to relax, and reduce stress and inflammation. Additionally, as your body begins to cool off your circadian rhythm, which controls when you wake, sleep and eat, is signaled to make you sleepier by slowing your heart rate, breathing, and digestion.
- Go to bed at the same time every day helps you establish a routine. When your body associates a specific time of night with your bedtime, it'll release sleep-inducing hormones more naturally making it easier for you to fall asleep.
- Adjust the temperature of your room for better sleep. Ever notice how difficult it is to fall asleep if you're too hot or too cold? Yeah, that's not a coincidence. Your body temperature naturally declines to allow you to fall asleep and if the temperature isn't just right, it's likely that you're not getting as much sleep as you should be! It's recommended to maintain your bedrooms temperature anywhere from 6-67 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Journal, Pray or Meditate! Whenever I have a hard time falling asleep, I find that it partially has to do with having too much on mind. By taking a moment before bed to journal my thoughts, seek a higher power or list all that I am grateful for I a better able to clear my mind and relax.
- Play white noises or relaxing sounds in the background. This is a trick I use while at work that works every single time! (Yes, I find time to nap at work because rest is everything!) I lock myself in an office that's not in use, kick my feet up and play box fan sounds on Spotify. Might sound off but it blocks out the sound of phones ringing in the background and soothes me right into my cat nap!
- Use a sleep mask, earplugs, and darkening blinds allows you to silence your senses and mind for better sleep. Using all three eliminate bright light and pesky sound pollution which distract your mind from settling.
- Melatonin is a godsend when really in a pinch. For a while, I was completely unable to fall asleep. I'm talking tossing and turning all night! I tried Melatonin Gummies and they put me asleep ASAP! Melatonin, as mentioned before, is a naturally occurring sleep hormone. Sometimes our bodies aren't producing enough melatonin to signal our bodies to sleep and melatonin gummies can truly help!
The main thing I've learned about getting great rest and better sleep is that it's all about setting the right mood and establishing a routine for yourself. Set a peaceful, comforting environment for yourself and your body and mind will follow suit!
In the comments below, tell me if you love this post and what are your favorite Tips for Better Sleep? And remember, pin, like and share with someone in need.
Are you interested in working with a Health Coach who understands what it's like to be completely overwhelmed, overweight, and exhausted? I'm your girl!
I know what's like to want to practice self-care but not have time. What's it's like to care about your eating habits, weight and lifestyle but not have direction or someone to keep me accountable. And let's just say it's much easier when you have someone on your team.
I WOULD LOVE TO HELP YOU CREATE THE LIFE OF YOUR DREAMS!
Check out my services and let's arrange your FREE Wellness Consultation today!